History of the Society
Founded in 1945 the London Flower Lovers’ League, held its first competition for growing daffodil bulbs in 1948. The League’s founder was Mrs Alice Street who became the first Chairman and remained in that position for 17 years. In 1967 the League became a registered charity and in 1974 the name was changed to the London Children’s Flower Society.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was the Society’s patron until her demise in 2002. In 2004 we were pleased to announce that Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex had agreed to become our new patron and has attended several events on behalf of the Society.
Since its foundation more than 70 years ago, the Society has given young school children, the opportunity to take an interest in horticulture. We currently support approximately 200 schools and their teachers in encouraging some 40,000 children to take part in our Spring and Summer Competitions. Each child is given simple instructions on how to grow the plants and they take them home to nurture. When they are in full bloom they are returned to school where our team of volunteer judges attend and award certificates to each child. This activity enhances the national curriculum in subjects as varied as art, English, Religious Education and science. The children are stimulated into trying something new and something, we believe, will give them a continuing interest in nature throughout their lives.
In our early years the then London County Council, provided us with a small grant to help the strained financial position. That support was continued by the Inner London Education Authority until its demise in 1990. Now we rely entirely upon grants and donations from private individuals, Charitable Trusts and London Borough Councils.
In recognition of her work, Mrs Alice Street was given a memorial plaque which still sits in Peckham Rye Park.